Old 02-01-21, 06:51 PM   #1903
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
Hi John,

several years ago I made some tests concerning the 'blind' aircrafts. IIRC, there is no fundamental/hardcoded problem but only a sensor problem. It's much too insensitive for aircrafts.

According to my understanding of how sensors work in SH3, the game calculates every time interval of 0.?s for each sensor a probability that you are detected. This probability is determined according to a formula with parameters specified in sim.cfg. It then generates a random number and decides whether you have been detected, i.e., it's a nice 'Monte-Carlo' experiment.

Since an airplane has roughly 10-20x the speed of a ship, it spends less time in the region around a u-boat with a significant probability for detection. As a consequence, the total probability of being detected (not the probability in every single 'experiment') is much lower because the 'dice' is thrown less often for the plane.

My guess is that the devs didn't do a proper normalization of the probability to take the different speeds into account and thus fast objects have a disadvantage.

Best, LGN1
Ah, thank you very much for the excellent information ! Makes perfect sense.
Sounds similar to the aircraft time compression problem.
I really like the flight paths Stiebler put in with these aircraft. Just wish they could see me better but thats not his fault.
Greatly appreciate the reply LGN1.

Last edited by John Pancoast; 02-01-21 at 08:09 PM.
John Pancoast is offline   Reply With Quote