View Single Post
Old 08-06-20, 10:12 AM   #13
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

Here are some examples of what I mean. I took these screenshots from the UZO. And a bit too much closer than you would normally risk. I did not actually do the tracking for this either , so I don't know what the correct AOB would be. So they are only for illustrating purposes only. You should maneuver to verify the actual AOB with more precision at a later stage.

Somehow the images also show 150%-200% enlarged when viewing in my browser. They are 1920x1080 in size.

Image: (spoiler because image shows too large)

In this image the funnel is aft of mid-ship. Split structures and you can see between the two. Even the stairs leading up to the 1st upper deck of the bridge-structure from behind. You can see the front island. The far edge is completely obscured by the near edge, suggesting AOB <90. You can more clearly see the front face of the bridge, and the front of the engine building. So again AOB<90. Also the spread of the masts can give away AOB. The aft mast is an +-configuration when seen from the top-down/bow-up view. It depends on where the sunlight comes from but those starboard masts are grey indicating inclined toward you (less illumination angle). The tip of the starboard boom is about 1/5th between the center mast and the aft boom tips on the far side. Indicating the AOB is about 10 degrees (sin(11) is about 0.2) forward of beam so about AOB 80. It's a first guess, so don't put your money on it. But lacking anything else you could use it in a pinch. Rather, confirm it when passing another ship. Or move in front of it and determine when the mast covers the funnel exactly.

This one is further away and also near AOB 90 starboard. Here you can only see the backside of the bridge. And just before it is covered by the funnel structure. You might even see some of the back-face of the cargo-boxes. (slight shading difference) The booms on the mast give a bit better indication on how much the angle differs beyond 90 degrees. The aft booms on the 3rd mast (+-configuration) suggest it is between 135 and 90, maybe closer to 135. Lets say 120. Again, it's a first guess. Move up to the pont where mast booms overlap exactly and front and back faces disappear. That is where 90 degrees AOB is most exact.

This one is the same as before. But harder to tell if it is less or more than 90 AOB. You could settle it as that. But depending on your interpretation of the illumination of the mastboom it might be possible to distinguish which side. The darkened boom of the 3rd mast (likely towards you, as the brighter one is also obscured at the bottom) is still in front of the mast itself. Suggesting you are looking from behind, thus AOB>90. But not by much. Maybe only 5 degrees.

Again, confirm this from another position when you can notice a specific angle. From the side, right in front, or right behind if you have no other choice. But approaching submerged from the front you have more tactical advantages. You are not taking the AOB to shoot now. From behind or from the front you are on his course line. So just by noting the bottom indication on the attack periscope (true bearing) you know the course or its reciprocal. (the opposite way) The TDC remembers the setting you make and translates it to the target course which it keeps internally. When you look at it from another angle then the AOB dial (also with the right selector setting) should show the right value. Unless the target turned in the mean time. Guessing the AOB should be considered a cheap investment for later.