View Single Post
Old 08-03-20, 09:03 AM   #6
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
I agree, fascinating piece of equipment for the time. Doubt we could get a visual display in the sim, unless perhaps setting the SJ radar's depth from 0 meters to say -90 etc, but then how to get it to turn on, how to get the mines to show up on the screen when under water?

As I mentioned, years back someone developed a working FM sonar mod. The mines were made to emit a noise audible via the sonar stack, it was distinct from standard ship contacts. I recall it worked in a training mission but if you had multiple mines, such as in a minefield, it caused the game to slow and eventually a CTD. Perhaps would work better now with the 4gb patch, LAA, and all.

If not, perhaps create a new mine, one the emits, could place one in front of the "normal " mine field or have it overlap. Would at least let player know there are mines.
Doing a little data mining, I found this document: https://maritime.org/doc/sonar/chap14.htm

The projector had a 'searchlight' function. Reading the document a little further, much of it's behavior was identical to the SJ radar. Thinking about it, the SJ radar could be used as the model for the sonar.