View Single Post
Old 05-27-11, 08:28 AM   #23
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I suppose that's a legitimate worry, but my current graphics card was purchased as an Open-Box from NewEgg, and I've had no complaints at all. On the other hand I don't know anything, so maybe I was just lucky.
It would probably be fine, they just won't guarantee the presence of any of the "accessories" that you'd get with a new item. Anyway I got it new for only about $10 more (after rebate) from somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post
so one 5770 wasn't enough?
It probably is, but with the new mobo at least I'll have the option of a second card. Who knows, by the time I get around to it, the price on the 5870 may have dropped.

Quote:
But how did the 5770 perform for you?
Loading SH3+GWX3+10 gazillion mods with new card...

Still loading...

Still loading...

Aaaaaand still loading...

Almost there...

Okay, Wilhelmshaven, here I come...

Looks around harbor...

Quote:
Don't worry about the build - since you've aimed for an Asus board, you'll be pleased with the great manual. An excellent step-by-step guide!

And of course you have us!

Right now I'm looking at the first week of September to get it up and running, since I'll have a week off work then and plenty of time to tinker/re-tinker/throw things/learn exciting new curse words/tear my hair out.

Plus that will give me time to consider, compare and acquire whatever else I'm gonna need. If I get there sooner, fine, but that's what I'm shooting for.

Quote:
And forget the silly ground strap... just touch the case, use common sense and don't touch connectors or components.
That's what I've always done, and I've never been shocked or fried a component.

Quote:
The 955 and 965 are the same CPU. AMD overclocked the 955 for you for the extra $20 and named it 965... your choice.
If choosing 955, make sure it's a rev. c3 but I would probably go for 965 too.
Newegg has the 965 for the same price as the 955 with a promo code through 5/31.

Quote:
750W PSU is way - way! - more than adequate! What do you have now? If more than 450W, I would keep that for a while...
Don't know if you've already settled for one, but I can highly recommend Fractal Design. Cheap and very, very good.
500W, it's the one that came with the rig when I bought it. Have never looked up anything else about it so I don't know whether it's from a "quality" manufacturer or not. Given that it was included in a pre-built system, I'm guessing not.

Much will depend on what else ends up going into the new build, so the PSU will most likely be the last thing I look at, unless I come across some incredible deal on a really nice one that looks like a good longterm investment.

Quote:
/edit: btw. your board will need both power connectors to be connected. 4-pin ATX and 24-pin ATX.

Maybe I should look for a Building PCs For Dummies book.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote