View Single Post
Old 04-17-19, 06:34 AM   #14
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderWaterGamer View Post
I have looked around the tips section for CAOD and this is what I found for sound problems:
Problem: The engine sound cuts out during play.
Solution: If you are using the voice recognition feature of Command: Aces of the Deep, you should turn the engine sounds off. The engine sounds will interfere with the voice recognition feature of the game and will cut in and out if this feature is enabled. If you do not use the voice recognition feature and want to hear the constant hum of engines, Reinstall Command: Aces of the Deep and do not choose the voice recognition.

Hope this can help

I also have some problems of my own that make my CAOD experience pretty bad. First off my scope is black 50% of the time ( which is already pretty annoying...) even in 256 colors and for some reason when I go from the chart view, for example, to the scope or other view that makes you look outside, my simulation accelerates (waves, boat movement...) for one or two seconds and then goes back to normal. Now I think this is due to the fact that I am on a more recent windows but it is still very very annoying!

PS: I also managed to revert the changes!

Thank you for your tips with the sound, but I have already carefully followed all the tips in the 'Tactics' section here on the site for the correct installation which is quite complicated because it's more an art to make this game run in modern OS. I had to install it in WMWare+WinXP and then put all the files on a stick to transfer them to Win7, this should cut all problems, only sound problems remain.

For your problem with the scope not showing:
Put the game shortcut to these compatibilities:
- Compatibility with Win 95;
- Run with 256 Colors;
- Deactivate desktop layout (4th box);
- Run as admin

it's important that the desktop is at 256 colors BEFORE starting game, that's why you may get missing grafics. Also if you have the game installed in Win7 directly from the setup.exe, then it's better to simply copy-paste all game files (the entire SIERRA folder) to a USB stick, uninstall game in Win7, delete the SIERRA.ini in the Windows directory, then reput the SIERRA folder in C:\ and create a shortcut with C:\SIERRA\AODCMD\AODCD.EXE. Then put the shortcut to the compatibiliy as above. Maybe on your system the game will then play perfect - and without sound problems, which I wish you

The sound fading-out is likely due to the fact that CAOD is running too fast on modern OS, I see no way to correct this without harming my hardware (using speed software to slow-down my modern game rig is not recommended). The DOS version running in Dosbox is way better in this regard: I can set the speed of the program (The Dosbox Cycles) exactly tuned to the chronometer in-game, making 1 minute of the chronometer exactly show in 1 real-time minute, which runs the game correctly.

For more tips about the game not present in the 'Tactics' section, read a thread here that I've made not too long ago, it contains pretty much all things 'not-in-the-manual' which I could find about this game.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=240392

Read Post #2, skip the first.

Cheers,
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-17-19 at 07:08 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote