View Single Post
Old 01-27-06, 11:57 PM   #17
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125
Uploads: 0

SPOILER FOLLOWS

Okay, here's how this scenario works.

At the start of the scenario, one of three possible diesel subs are created. One of these is a Kilo-class, the other two are Foxtrots.

Each of these subs has a "Relative Position" trigger attached with the following parameters needed to fire the trigger:

For the Kilo, the player's FFG must approach to within 3 miles of the sub and remain there for at least 15 minutes. This trigger will not fire before time 19:00.

For the first Foxtrot, the player's FFG must approach to within 3 miles of the sub and remain there for at least 15 minutes. This trigger will not fire before time 19:00.

For the second Foxtrot, the player's FFG must approach to within 3 miles of the sub and remain there for at least 15 minutes. This trigger will not fire before time 18:30.

When the sub's Relative Position trigger fires, a script is run. The script tells the sub to surface and sets a course and speed to leave the area.

In order to get a successful 'mission complete', the FFG's "lookout" sensor must detect the surfaced sub.

I've checked and double-checked the above and everything seems to be in order. I can think of two possibilities for why the mission isn't working correctly for some players:

1) There might be something screwy with how DW implements the "relative position" trigger. For example, if the FFG approaches to within 3 nm of the sub, but leaves before the 15 minites are over, will this prevent the trigger from ever firing in the future? :hmm:

2) The sub's AI routines might be interfering with or superceding the 'surface sub' script. If the sub doesn't get to the surface, then the lookout sensor won't be able to detect it and the mission will fail.

Either of the above would be a fault of the game program. Further investigation is needed to understand what the game program is doing. I can think of some possible work-arounds by changing how the scenario's triggers are set up.

Finally, this mission has some additional trigger logic for the case where the player opens fire on the sub. Start the war and see what happens!