View Single Post
Old 04-07-19, 07:35 PM   #9
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Don't have 1.5, so don't have OpMonsun, so no Brit destroyers or Underzee Boots. I recall reading somewhere that on some of these supermods they disabled the visual range ring, I would guess that's what you have there - no visual range ring, outer is radar, second largest with the wedge cut out astern is the standard passive (hydrophone, something ending with a P), the semi circle is the standard active. The one shaped like a 1/3rd slice of pie is possibly another type of active sonar, no idea how they pulled that trick off.

What I got at the bottom of the Akizuki SNS file;

[Sensor 11]
NodeName=D01
LinkName=NULL
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19451231

[Sensor 12]
NodeName=C01
LinkName=NULL
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19451231

The "NULL" means it's not used at all, ever. What the D and C stand for I have no clue, so take a look at the SNS file for this A&B class and see if one of those is active. Toward the end of WWII the US was experimenting with a new type of sonar called FM, which was a separate system for detecting mines. I've also read a few references to the Japanese playing with MAD (Magnetic Anomaly Detector) but only in aircraft. So wild guess it's a different kind of active sonar, don't know what else it could be with that shape. Again, keep in mind the visible rings only show the average, the max range of whatever system you see the rings for is actually a little bigger depending on the AI crew - which there's no way of knowing.

Here's a little synopsis of the FM sonar carried by some US subs in 45;

https://www.historynet.com/uss-wahoo-vengeance.htm
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote