View Single Post
Old 06-16-21, 04:08 PM   #158
Alpheratz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBongTrillion View Post
Started playing SH5 again when I saw this thread. The research that has been done to make these methods work in SH5 is incredible, and I'm excited to learn more.

I will ask a couple questions since there have been a few folks who offered to take questions.

In the table in Alpheratz's almanac of arc minute and second corrections to GHA, is my time input to the table also GMT - 1 hour like it is above to determine GHA to the nearest 4 hour increment (since my port of departure is Kiel)?

Also, I think I understand how to do the GHA corrections for minutes and seconds, but say if my time input is 2 hours ahead of the nearest 4 hour GHA increment, does that mean in the table of min/sec corrections, I also need to add the corrections for 60min x 2 in order to account for the extra two hours?

I tried figuring out latitude from a Polaris shot and got within ~5 arc minutes but I was using a time input with an hour that matched one of the 4 hour GHA intervals, so I don't think correcting for the hour was necessary. Of course, this could also have been a happy accident because at this point I'm all enthusiasm and zero skill

Thanks again for the amazing work, navigators.
I'll be happy to help you, but I'm not sure yet that I understood correctly what you are asking about. I suggest that you write here all the initial data and your specific example of calculations (for example, as I did in video 3.1), then I will tell you if you are doing something wrong.

I created the table for determining the latitude according to Polaris in a simplified form for educational purposes and the accuracy (max error) of determining the latitude from it is 2-3 arc minutes. If your error was 5 arc minutes, you may have been mistaken at some stage. I am currently working on Nautisches Jahrbuch, which will replace Nautical Almanac. Nautisches Jahrbuch will contain a more accurate Polaris latitude table used by Kriegsmarine.

Last edited by Alpheratz; 06-16-21 at 04:21 PM.