View Single Post
Old 08-21-20, 05:12 PM   #4
steel shark
XO

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 5

Default Countermeasure’s Remake 60/70,s USN

Ive finished my fist pass on remaking my Advanced Countermeasure’s for my Epic W@ters Plug In mod for Epic Mod

A lot of decoys are launched from SSE Launchers (Submerged signal Ejector’s) or in my cold waters I used the VLS , to simulate this some are internal tubes tho like the Uk SCAD-102 & USN MK70-moss.

There are two broad categories of defence, hard kill and soft kill.

Hard Kill

Anti-Torpedo Torpedo (ATT)
My ATT weapons are 6.75 inches in diameter, 105 inches long, and powered by a stored chemical-energy propulsion system these simply are launched to attack enemy incoming torpedo’s these are launched from (Submerged signal Ejector’s)

Counter Anti-Torpedo (CAT these are like the ATT but more Capable
The CAT is an all-up round housed in a canister and ready for launch. The round is designed for high speed and manoeuvrability and uses a stored chemical energy propulsion system.

Soft Kill

Submarine Decoys and Noisemakers. Submarines employ various acoustic decoys such as Ultra Electronics Mk 2/3/4 Acoustic Device Countermeasures (ADC) which is a 3” or 6.25” diameter expendable acoustic decoy.

The old Mk 57 Mobile Submarine Simulator (MOSS) was a 10 inch diameter, mobile decoy that was launched from a torpedo tube. MOSS has since been replaced by the six inch EX-10 Mobile Multi-function Device (MMD), which can be fired from a countermeasures tube.

Enhanced Decoys – mobile decoys already exist and are used by submarines. There’s no reason why mobile decoys couldn’t be adapted to surface ships. They would be launched from ejector ports just above, or under, the surface.

Forward thinking 2020 onward

Super Cavitating Dart

Super Cavitation Darts – Super cavitation allows torpedoes to achieve very high speeds of 100-200 kts. Why not apply the principle to small “darts” that contain only a sensor head and explosive warhead? The ship’s launch mechanism would impart all the speed necessary for intercept and the dart would have no need for an engine or fuel. This would be a great application for a very small rail gun. In any event, the darts would be launched at an intercept point and the dart’s small sensor/fuze would detonate the warhead if the torpedo were detected. The main question would be what range could be achieved before the dart slowed to a stop.

RBU ASW Rocket Launcher

CIWS/RBU – The RBU is the old Soviet anti-submarine rocket launcher. It’s somewhat analogous to the old US Hedgehog system. If that were combined with a CIWS type system, it could launch a “wall” of exploding rockets on or just in front of the torpedo. The CIWS aspect would guide the fall of rockets to meet the torpedo just as it guides the shells to meet the target aircraft or missile. The system would depend on sheer volume of exploding rockets to destroy the incoming torpedo.

Steel Shark

Last edited by steel shark; 09-24-20 at 07:48 AM.
steel shark is offline   Reply With Quote