View Single Post
Old 02-17-17, 05:43 AM   #53
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I have said it before, and remind of it here: "New Windows PCs come with UEFI firmware and Secure Boot enabled. Secure Boot prevents operating systems from booting unless they’re signed by a key loaded into UEFI — out of the box, only Microsoft-signed software can boot." So: --> https://www.howtogeek.com/175641/how...h-secure-boot/

I read the link you posted which mentioned that Ubuntu has a "key" in the boot loader...
also note my comment in my last post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaUAK View Post
I know Redhat/Fedora use a "shim" to make the system work with UEFI, Debian/Ubuntu has there way of "making them (UEFI) talk".
Redhat's "shim", and Ubuntu's "making them (UEFI) talk", were both references to them having Secure Boot "keys".

Installing Ubuntu with UEFI on and then turning UEFI off WILL play havoc with the boot loader, as it is setup for one way, and then you suddenly change the hardware, without changing the software configuration.
The "boot loader" simply "takes over" from the BIOS, and lets you choose which "OS" you want to boot. It's not a complicated, self (automatic) configuring piece of software.

ULTIMATELY, I think that Reece's booting issues are simply that Ubuntu failed to INSTALL the boot loader. Because, for what ever reason, it was unable to write to the MBR on the Primary Hard Drive.

I think he may need to re-install Ubuntu. Which shouldn't take too long.

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote