Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Thanks for detailed post as always Gap.
My pleasure mate

Quote:
However you'll have to agree that we didn't learn anything new from those articles, what we couldn't conclude for our self.
Yes, indeed. A Type VIIC U-boat had a submerged displacement of only 871 tonnes, and the 8.8 cm SK C/35 naval gun weighted 776 kg. Such an heavy load sticking out from boat's deck and not having any adverse effect on boat's handling and performance, is hard to believe, that's why in the first place I asked you about your sources and I mentioned my own sources...

Quote:
Yes "some" performance bonus is unquestioned but the main question still remains.How much? They all only use words like "much", "some" ect which is not very helpful IMO. Was it 1KN speed increase (which I really doubt) or maybe 0.1? 0.01?
No, unfortunately I couldn't find any figure, though I think that a top speed increase in the order of 0.2-0.3 knots after deck gun removal, wouldn't be too far from reality. Provided that such a feature is possible (see my considerations below), it should just balance (and only in part) the decrease in top speed caused by later conning towers; in other words, removing the deck gun shouldn't actually provide any bonus but, basically, a reduction of the penalty which - if I got you correctly - you have already implemented with later conning tower's drag coefficients.

Quote:
Unfortunately, other mentioned benefits like improved handling and diving times are not possible to simulate since they are controlled by completely different set of sim controllers...
I have never played with gun and conning tower additional drag coefficients, but my understanding of the similar ship and submarine main controller's drag factors (unit_Ship => obj_Hydro group), is that they are directly related to vessel's seaworthiness, and that they have little or no effect on top speed.

Quote:
The point is, we can not really conclude this without some complex mathematics and even then I believe that the resulting speed benefit would be quite minuscule.
If the overall benefit was that minuscule, why would they have bothered removing those guns from Type VII U-boats and, most importantly, why should the player bother doing it? In my opinion any U-boat upgrade should provide an advantage to the player, otherwise there is no point in having it

Last edited by gap; 06-28-20 at 04:52 PM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote