View Single Post
Old 04-25-10, 11:13 AM   #12
frinik
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Steel Beasts

I am sure the Americans did a consiuderable amount of arm twietibg.many of the Abrams customers by the way took it as a second option simply because the Germans overly restrictive arms export policies like in the Gulf countries simply prevented countries that preferred the Leop[ard 2 over the Abrams to buy it.

On the other hand the Aussies preferred the German/French Tiger attack helicopter over the Apache Long bow and the German/French Airbus refuelling tanker over the US competition.

Interesting th use of Tungsten core shells since Germany pioneered its use during WWII on its Tigers and Panthers but in limited quantites and very effectively. DU BTW has been known to cause high incidence of cancers amongst US veterans.

Modern tanks are very close to one another in terms of performance, firepower,capabilities although argueably the Leopard 2A6 and the latest Abrams seem to have a slight edge over the Challengers and the Merkava.Bu these tanks all use the German designed 120 smooth bore mm gun and even the tracks and in some cases the transmission and engine(Merkava) are German made or designed so the case could be made that the German made Leopard 2A6 is the best by virtue of combining the best designs.

Good news about Steel Beasts.I wish I had waited to buy mine.

it's in a class by itself because it is the real thing the simulation of actual existing and state/of/the/art modern battletanks.Steel Fury and TvsT are just historical curiosities but in a way they matter because the modern tanks of today were born out the legends of WWII whether the Tigers , Panthers, T34/85...

Happy birthday SB!
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote