Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniam81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniam81
I dont think a torpedo would actually get the magazine to go up. The magazines are located not against the side of the hull but in the middle of the ship. For just that reason (ok and because the guns are on the centre line of the ship too). Plus a torpedo's explosion doesn't cause much damage to a ship. It's the pressure of the water rushing back into the gap caused by the explosion that does the damage. That is what make the under the keel shot so deadly. The explosion makes a gap in the water (because water cant be compressed). Because water is more dence at a greater depth the gap collapses from the bottom up creating a "water hammer" that slams into the bottom of the ship (hopefully breaking the ships keel).
Almost fully correct, however before the "water hammer" there is a micro second where there is literally no water beneath the boats keel and it breaks under its own weight. The water hammer finshes the job.

As to the mag/impact switch, from what I understand it does not work. Perhaps the torpedoes are coded to mag/impact by default.
I never knew it was the gap that broke the back of the ship I always assumed it was the "water hammer" I guess you do learn something everyday.

And yes I know the mag/impact switch does nothing but makes a funky clicking sound I was talking about in real life.
Well much more so for contemporary torpedoes than WW2 but still same Idea. Let me see if I can find the tape. =
It appears as though the ship lifts up out of the water but it is literally suppported by only the bow and stern. Remeber its miliseconds.

But as an example imagine a yardstick with a 20lb weight in the middle sitting on the desk. No problems as the stick is supported by the desk. Now try to pick that yardstick by just the ends... snap.
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote