View Single Post
Old 12-15-19, 02:32 PM   #12789
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Do you mean the flares launched by ships? I never see any lag in TWoS 2.2.16 when a ship launchs a flare (white or red). In fact, some flares do a "parabolic trajectory" when launched, no lag, no CTD, and the effect is superbe.
Thank you Fitz, the flares were first added to the game by TDW with his FX Updates mod. I am not sure about the other games (I think there's an FX Updates also for SHIII and one for SHIV), but in SH5 those flares have always caused lags and occasional CTDs.
That was until Rongel discovered that the problem was not caused by the flare particle effect itself, but by the light nodes that their particle generators were attached to. Light nodes were used for making flares to cast actual light (and shadows), and to affect the range of visual sensors, but in order to fix the said problems, it was decided to replace them with regular nodes. This fix is now part of TWoS, that's why now you can enjoy the eye candy of distress flares without their side effects, but at the cost of their functionality.

I am now wondering whether those lags are caused by light nodes per se, or rather they came from the conjunction of the said light nodes with something else, that's why I was asking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
v2.2.17
Well done mate

...just a couple of little rectifications on the release notes:

Quote:

- Added three new optional addons - "Remove Map Plastic Cover", which will make various nav map elements much more visible, "Officer Icons as Stations", Captain America's alternative officer icons adopted for TWoS and "Env Settings - Brighter Nights", a gap's Dyn Env solution for nights being excessively dark for some users.
I don't think that that addon is by me, if memory serves me well it was created by someone else, most probably stoianm

Quote:
- New Leigh Light 3D model by gap.
This is actually by me lol, anyway it is not only the 3D model that was updated, but all the involved settings including searchlight effect, train/elevation speed and angles, damage settings and Leigh Light positioning on aircraft models

Last edited by gap; 12-15-19 at 07:10 PM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote