Old 01-24-20, 02:30 AM   #4
dashyr
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 181
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Hi Dashyr,

First have to say i NEVER was able to get a PRECISE range in OM (stock OM, or OM+OMEGU)...i suspect it was designed that way, as in real, no precise range calculation to the meter
Range is often off by at least 100m...200m is often the case.
Knowing that error, you can adjust!

Second, if you shoot around 1000m away, distance setting cannot influence your solution.
Most of time, i never touch the distance setting and always hit
The most important factor is target speed and AOB. (Speed finding is really easy with the U-Jagd)
But keep in mind the closer you are, the less your calculations errors will impact your shot.
Distance setting is more important for long distance shots (2000/3000m)

Third, i believe in real, Kaleuns only had time for a distance estimation, not a very precise range distance. That’s why i love the way it is in OM...
But you always can ask your officer for a range distance by the way! He will give you a precise distance. Just click the « report nearest visual contact » icon in the order bar, and if the target is in the visual range of your crew it will give you the info.

Last, keep in mind torpedoes are set for speed and depth errors at the beginning of war. Only end of 1942 they are better, as it was in real
So get closer for best chances of hits!

Speaking of being closer.

https://imgur.com/0tQ6nLj

Visibility was bad and the boat was rocking like crazy. I think he was around 800m away. Found this little cargo on my way back to base. I was sad to have found nothing during my patrol but hey... That guy quite almost handed himself over on a silver plate. Fired 3 torpedoes at different bearings, mostly forward, in case he would notice and start speeding up. Second ship I sink in full realism and another cut in half.

When I use the AOB finder for a range estimate. Do I just take the mast into account or mast minus draft?

Also, thanks for the reply. Good to know that it is kind of intended.
dashyr is offline   Reply With Quote