Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum View Post
Why?
My old and very cheep 500W PSU has been great since the early 90s. What
do I get if I pay more?

Graphics:
Sapphire HD 4890(?)

Case:
As cheep as I can get. I don't care if it looks like a pile of crap. Or makes a loud noise.
How can I tell if my case will fit everything in?

Power Supply:
???

Vista 64 - Right guys?
~ £100

Am I good to start buying yet?
IMHO (and I'm not always hunble )... You're on the right track so far except regarding power supplies. I see PWS failures all the time and they "can" take out other components when they fail. Spend the extra few dollars (Pounds) and get a good one. It's much better to too much power than find out later you were one watt short do to a power fluctuation...

I can understand your feeling about cases but make sure you get something that moves the air through. CPUs aren't the heat problem anymore--it's you Video that needs cooling the most. My old 486 133 DX ran hotter than today's cores. I don't do any special CPU coolers and haven't had a problem.

Video: I've become an NVidia guy and am currently behind on ATI tech (I really should check it out more). I really like my EVGA 9800GTX though and think it's a bargain at $130. Others can chime in on that.

EDIT: OS is dependant on how much old software you want to use. 64 bit can be a hassle but it's nice to have.