View Single Post
Old 11-12-07, 12:43 PM   #219
ben cg
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Nice patrols Reno

I think you have inspired me to start a new Manilla'41 career, time for me to go hunting history (I also want to modify the torpedo mod I am using to have the correct 420yd arming distance and iirc you have to delete the SH4 save folder to make torpedo mods work).

Playing RSRD has finally pushed me to go for 100% realism (I was holding off on the no map updates/no camera) and its been reallly worth it. Last night I lay in wait 1000yds off a roughly plotted sonar track, popped the periscope up when my victim was nearing only to peer into a thick pea soup. No problem, I quickly switch to the sonar screen and start pinging the merchant to get range/bearing etc and set up a better plot (thank-you WernerSobe video tutorials ). I judge I am about 800yds from the target course so am pretty hopeful a 4 fish spread will get a couple of hits at least.

I hit fire,fire,fire,fire and send the spread of 4 fish (all I have in my Salmon)... the tense wait... sounds like 2 hits, 1 dud, 1 miss, but only one hit is reported, so it was probably a premature detonation for the other. I go forward full flank to try and get a visual and have another go at it before it steams well away but I had left it rather late and wasn't going to get close enough. I surfaced for speed - its bound to be sinking or at least an unarmed cargo right?... I sped forward but visibility was almost zero, straining my eyes I just make out a small flicker of what must be a fire and suddenely a huge ship looms out the fog, it had turned sharply and was now heading straight for me!

Sure enough it was an armed large freighter and its first shot hit before my crew could even fire I crash dived, turned and hastily set up the TDC for a x3 stern spread. Two hits this time and I am close enough to see the hits at each end of the ship, it seems to be slightly listing to port as it dissapears into the murk (I have put 2 holes in its port and 1 in its starboard now). I spent about 1/2 hr trying to box around the bugger (it is still clipping along at a good pace) but as I am just getting ahead of it I get the sunk message. (I wonder if I will get a medal?) Ha, Fun
ben cg is offline   Reply With Quote