Thread: Depth Charges?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-20, 10:34 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericho791 View Post
So I have a question about depth charges.

Last night I was playing SH4 (FotRS) Co-op with my sons, and I noticed that every time a DD managed to DC me, they did so with pinpoint accuracy. Didn't matter that I was changing depth and course and speed. The DC's would rain down right on top of me and explode at the exact depth that I was at in that moment. On one occasion I was sitting at 320 feet all ahead slow, and the DD dropped charges on me, and they came down and exploded at exactly 320 feet.

So my question is, how is the DC depth setting logic rendered in SH4?

Back in SH2 days, when playing in conjunction with Destroyer Command, the destroyers had to set the depth that the charges would explode, just like they had to do in real life. If they didn't set them right, the charges would explode above you, or below you depending on their setting.

Do the charges in SH4 have depth settings, or do they just explode at a depth based on the depth of your submarine?
your example does make it seem as if the sim is using 20th hydrophone/sonar technology...of which you are very aware.

in SH4, the enemy detects you based on sound and then decides at what depth to set their DC. the DC themselves have a plus/minus factor to apply, similar to the torpedo defect percentages. it could be that in the instance you describe above, all of the variables came up sevens for the IJN and snake eyes for you and your valiant crew.

if you want to get into the variables, d/l skwas' S3ditor and check out \library\DepthCharges_IJN.sim and .zon.
these two files will allow you to see behind the curtain. you, as a former sonar tech, will understand more of the subtleties than the regular player.

one other suggestion...you didn't mention which boat you were driving. you may want to also use the S3ditor and check out the submerged RPM for your boat in Submarines\yourboattype\yourboattype.SIM. look in the Electric Propulsion section. within SH4, your boat's underwater sound profile is directly related to its RPM. if you feel like it, you can appeal to one of your classmates in BuShips to let you adapt your boat.

good luck and good hunting!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote