View Single Post
Old 09-16-19, 08:21 PM   #5
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

One thing I haven't seen mentioned - Open outer doors. Real life procedure was to order the crew to open the outer doors on the selected tubes before reaching the firing position. During the approach, the TDC constantly sent gyro angle commands to the torpedoes via spindles inside the tubes that projected into a hole in the top of each torpedo. When the fire button was pushed it set off a sequence where the spindle was withdrawn, the blast of compressed air pushed the torpedo out of the tube, and a trip activated the engine or motor start.

Note that in the game the programming simulates the withdrawing spindle when the fire button is pressed, so the gyro stops receiving angle updates.

If the outer door is already open the torpedo leaves the tube a second after the fire command is sent. Unlike real life, if you forget to hit the Q key to open the outer door, the game opens it automatically - and takes about 5 seconds between firing command and actual firing. That means your gyro angle is ancient history, which results in a lot of misses.

I have all my subtype.sim files hacked, where the files say;

wpn_SubTorpedoSys
auto_open = True

I changed all those to;
auto_open = False

That way I can't make a mistake, if I hit the fire button and the door isn't already open, nothing happens. So hit Q, wait 5 seconds, then hit fire again, got a fresh up to date gyro angle.

However you do it, whatever method you use, the worst programming in this game is that automatic opening of the outer doors, so make sure the outer doors are open before firing instead of depending on the faulty automatic door opening "feature".
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote