View Single Post
Old 05-23-20, 10:17 AM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4H_Ccrashh View Post
I can't hear ship contacts on sonar. In this video I'm 3000 yards away from a ship. I go to the sonar station and there is no sound on that bearing.
The first time this happened I ran into a Dutch tug and wanted to make a practice approach using my sonar. I could not hear it on the hydrophones. I thought maybe it was because the target was so small.
Two days later I ran into this contact. A small Dutch freighter, I tried going to 100 feet, all stop, the works. I can hear my own screws, but no targets. Note that the light does not come on when on target bearing.
Link is a video I made of the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The only mod running is Trigger Maru Overhaul.
Ahoy 4H,
some of what you are experiencing is part of the SH4 programming: some surface ships will not be detected by sonar. these include fishing boats, crab boats, junks, sampans, tugs, etc. whoever did the programming at Ubi either didn't think to include it or didn't think it would matter.

also, surface ships that are stationary or moving very slowly will have no sound to detect. so when you venture into your first port to take photos, you will submerged and using sonar to see what's there. you will here nothing...unless there is a patrolling DD/DE.

what speed was the Dutch freighter making when you were trying to pick her up on sonar? chances are she was doing a knot or two.
anyway, what you experienced is baked into the game and you (we) have to work-around it.

have fun. good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote