View Single Post
Old 05-07-19, 04:20 PM   #33
Nordmann
Commodore

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubV View Post
Basically, what most needed is a new SH3, with state-of-the art graphics and optional multiplayer. More ships, more variations, maybe some elements of procedural generation and/or dynamic campaign.
That's probably never going to happen, I'm sorry to say. Indie developers have limited resources, and AAA developers won't touch this genre with a ten foot barge pole. Ubi themselves appear to have given up on Silent Hunter for good, probably as a result of the backlash and nonsense surrounding SH5.

I said at the time that dumping on SH5 as hard as this community did was only going to drive away the one publisher prepared to take the risk, and I'm afraid that's exactly what happened. It was likely already a break-even series for Ubi, so all the bad press achieved was making it even easier for them to write it off and move on to more profitable ventures.

At this point I'd say we're very lucky to have UBOAT, and we either give it a chance, or else we can look forward to nothing for the foreseeable future. Eventually the older titles will struggle with newer operating systems, and if there's no new games on the horizon, then this could pose a rather significant problem for many of us.

Let's not sink this one early chaps, please!