View Single Post
Old 04-06-20, 10:45 AM   #24
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

I can't imagine a worse environment for an expensive and delicate gyroscope than being on a rolling/pitching/yawing Flower Class which drops depth-charges. Lots of them.

Much easier to put a mark of paint on the foremast at the height of the horizon as viewed from the bridge (on a flat calm sea) and just slightly anticipate it passing through the horizon as the boat pitches, I would think the latter, which is not prone to damage or hideously expensive, would be the RN's preferred "system" for this...

Even today, the captains of our submarines are expected to be able, and can, rapidly calculate torpedo firing solutions in their heads, rather than being helpless if all the technology falls-over.

Now, I have no evidence that such a "paint on a stick" system were used, but I think it's a pretty fair bet. I don't have the performance figures of hedgehog, but I'd be interested to know, if someone fancies calculating the parabolas, what error in pitch of the boat at firing would prevent a hit, assuming all else is accurate....
Fidd is offline   Reply With Quote