View Single Post
Old 03-10-23, 05:13 PM   #12
Hazelwood
Bosun

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Another Win 11 Offering

I'm late to this discussion but seems everyone's situation is different so... here goes.

In Windows 10, around 2 years ago, started getting "An administrator has blocked this app" and SH4.exe is identified as the culprit. Presumably, there was an MS security update involved. Turning down the UAC slider in "Settings" didn't help. What did work was constructing an "elevated" launch icon for the sim. If you hadn't done this before, a bit daunting, but there's good advice on the Web. In business after that.

I could NOT get his trick to work under Win 11 so was stuck for a while. What did work was the following:

01 - In the application search Window type: "Edit group policy" (without quotes) and ENTER. (Group Policy can be found using Control Panel but this way is actually easier).

02 - In the panel that opens, choose "Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options"

03 - On right side, scroll down to find "User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode Enabled"

04 - Double-click that line to get an option box with "Enable / Disable" options.

05 - Choose "Disable", close the editor and re-boot. The access problem is now solved but wait (see later).

06 - When finished gaming, be sure to re-enable that UAC setting for best protection. You'll have to go through the steps above but "Enable" that UAC setting in step 05.

My troubles still weren't over. The sim ran fine part way but upon doing my first SAVE it hung and could not be relaunched even with a reboot. Bummer. Upon first initialization, SH4 allocates a \SH4 directory with \Data as follows. This is SH4's working directory for the files included and is initialized from the one distributed in the executable's directory so you can ignore that one for now:

C:\Users"Your Name"\Documents\SH4\data\cfg

(Note - "Your Name" might not be your name but it's whatever you called your user account when installing Windows.). If you are using "Onedrive" the \Documents folder will be under \Onedrive. I don't use Onedrive so you're on your own there.

Navigate to and open "main.cfg" (in \cfg above) in a text editor. Once there, specify preferences in the "Video" section. The following worked for me with a Hi-Def monitor:

[VIDEO]
Resolution=1920,1280,60,22
DynamicShadows=Yes
FullScreen=No
Synchronized=No
TextureResolutionHigh=Yes

You might have to experiment with this and the simulation's graphics settings (once you can get in there). What appears to work is having the two matched.

I still was not out of the woods as the sim would not launch. After a lot of fooling around did the following:

01 - Deleted the entire \SH4 folder found in C:\Users"Your Name"\Documents\SH4\data\cfg.

(This is safe. Windows might obstruct you saying the file is open in another program. In that case, do a cold boot from system powered-down and you are good to go.)

02 -This forces SH4 at your next launch to rebuild that directory from the execution library (good idea to have desired video settings in the .cfg in THAT library.

Caramba! SH4 now launched. I was able to edit all options and the sim runs beautifully. "Saves" work without a glitch. I can only surmise that refreshing the "working" main.cfg fixed something.

Hope this helps someone.

Best wishes,
Cpt. J. Hazelwood
Hazelwood is offline   Reply With Quote