View Single Post
Old 07-29-20, 03:58 AM   #4
Sammi79
XO

Downloads: 272
Uploads: 0

Hmmm seems like their new forums & customer support are working - there's almost no posts there and only about 70 members have re-registered so far - but people are getting help getting the software running again. I can only assume DG and Jutland have carried on selling slowly over the years as Stormpowered and SES still exist.

I must have been one of the lucky few for whom Stormpowered (as much as I resent a mandatory software distribution client for playing a single game) never caused a significant problem, I 've been able to install pro versions all map packs etc.. on every system I owned since 2010, from Vista through win7 to win10, with little to no issue. Never had to open a support ticket. Anyway, the graphical engine holds up even if it is DX9, the level of control over the internal renderer is excellent and the models are very highly detailed. Sure I do wish they could self shadow and use HDR etc... but Reshade really helps smooth off the older edges.

And it is still the only product in its particular niche. Ultimate Admirals: Dreadnoughts is an awful lot of fun, but the grand strategy of being in command of the entire Royal Navy over the great war years combined with real time graphical simulatiuon with a reasonably high degree of accuracy is not something that has been repeated. Sure it has holes, and more are appearing with its age - and as much as I would love an update and I don't know the specifics of the source code (is it well structured/documented at all/etc.) it would probably be easier to write an entirely new product from scratch.

My personal bugbears are:

1) Sound issues, sounds cutting off or not playing at all, after several minutes certain sounds like engine noises just stop playing altogether.

2) Graphical issues, smoke dissapearing at certain camera bearings (it's actually rendering the sea in front of the smoke when this happens as you can still see any part of the smoke that happens to sit above the horizon from your viewpoint), Shells stuck in mid flight, shells dissapearing in flight altogether, Shells landing offset from their graphical representation.

Truth be told, apart from the sound issues for me which have always been and still are consistent, the other errors are very rare. When it comes to telporting fleets, I'm not sure exactly what happens but again for me it only occurs in specific 'edge' cases and could be avoided/worked around generally. Not ideal but not breaking.

Wedi mynd.

Sammi79 is offline   Reply With Quote