View Single Post
Old 06-10-07, 08:55 AM   #33
heartc
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 0

Uhm, JScones, I think you were ill-advised, dude. No offense to anyone here, but you basicly recommended him CFS3 in favor of the IL-2 series? Nuts. I'm a flightsim nerd at heart. While I've never been one of those Oleg worshippers, and I too own CFS3, but JScones, I can only recommend you that you get IL2, there is a complete edition out there which has Forgotten Battles and all the Add-Ons which have been done over the years included on 2 DVDs, one click install afaik.

If you think CFS3 is "awesome", the IL-2 series will totally blow you away. CFS3 with the community created add-ons can be an OK game, but there are multiple inherent and very bad issues with it which can't be fixed by no one cause they are hardcoded. The AI is total crap, they do not fly any proper ACM whatsoever, they only stand a chance cause they fly with zero fuel weight and can snipe you out from over 1000 yards when set on "Ace". The damage model is a joke. And you said you don't want the campaign to be fantasy, well in CFS3 it is, since the Germans never featured a Navy as presented in the campaign, and never invaded England either, and the Allies didn't land in Calais.

The campain in IL-2 would have suited you fine, it is a DYNAMIC campaign, but NON fantasy, and you DON'T need that DCG thingy for it to be so. All that DCG does is feature more planes in the air - fine if your PC can handle that - and repetive missions. At least from my experience, or I didn't set it up probably, which is chore, especially if you are new to the game. But as I said, you don't need the DCG addon. You can always come back later to it. The stock campaign in IL-2 does exactly what you were looking for: It provides you with "never the same mission twice", dynamicly generated flights in a non fantasy campaign with accurate frontlines and historic outcomes. It is not dynamic in a Falcon 4.0 sense of way, but it is NON-SCRIPTED nonetheless.
You can also make some simple adjustments in a Dgen.ini (Dgen, the stock campaign generator, not to be confused with the community DCG generator) file to increase activity in the campaign.

CFS3 now with the Add-Ons is the best it could have hoped to become (downloaded the Med Air War Add-On by now and waiting for the password), but if you want THE most comprehensive and most acclaimed (e.g. in terms of FM, DM, and Online) Flightsim, you HAVE to get the IL-2 series. All the other WWII flightsims have their merits, but if you don't get IL-2 (the latest edition), you are really missing out.

Last edited by heartc; 06-10-07 at 09:14 AM.
heartc is offline   Reply With Quote