View Single Post
Old 05-24-22, 06:08 AM   #13
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrimmer42 View Post

Incidentally, I have also had really excellent results simply using Tamiya X-20A acrylic thinners as a decal softening solution, I find it actually gets better results with a wider range of decals than most other dedicated softeners I've tried.

Wait a minute, are you talking about X-20 ("enamel") or X-20A ("acrylic")?
Tamiya's chemistry has always been a little "out there" in terms of being potent , but I've always associated decal film with lacquer based paints.

Which begs the question, has anyone tried to use Tamiya Extra Thin Cement on really stubborn decals? I've thought about it but have never had the courage to actually try it.

Some old school decal secrets- I've long been a fan of Micro Set but for stubborn decals I've had good results using Testor's "Dull Cote Lacquer" and "Sealer for Metalizer". Both use lacquer based solvents but are mild enough to not turn your decals into mashed potatos.
While they have been extinct for a couple of years, they were also sold in large (52 mL) bottles that tend to stick around for a long while.
Dull Cote, when applied with a small brush, is also effective for getting rid of the "seam" you get from thick decals. Just lightly sand or polish out the seam after the paint dries.
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote