View Single Post
Old 07-15-20, 11:47 AM   #7314
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247
Uploads: 0
Default Rate of Contact

So, I've played GWX, NYGM, and now WAC5.2.

I've got a beautiful GWX based install with MFM, the German U-boat compilation, Thomsen's sound mod, etc. Things look beautiful, the gameplay feels right, etc.

But the rate of contact with other traffic in GWX leaves me wanting.

WAC5.2 seems to generate a lot more traffic in general. In some places (Skaggerak, Baltic Sea, for example) I can't sail more than an hour or two without coming across *some* kind of traffic - whether a neutral fishing boat, an enemy warship, or a friendly submarine. It's a much different experience than GWX where it's mostly watching your circle move across the nav map at TC 128 hoping for*some* kind of contact, even in what should be heavily populated sea lanes.

That initial rush of "smoke on the horizon", followed by stalking to establish course and speed, followed by the haulover, setting up the shot and waiting, only to realize it's a neutral, is unfulfilling when it only happens infrequently in GWX and NYGM.

Is there a way to tweak the GWX files to increase the amount of contact with traffic? I'm assuming it's in campaign.scr or the like? I'm assuming it's some kind of number indicating frequency of spawning?
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote