View Single Post
Old 08-17-20, 01:39 AM   #7
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Reason to change Skipjack was ASROC weapon on Gearing class. Now Skipjack is ok.

Option for not using exocets or UUM-44 is just forbiden it in description. You can make attached "approach trigger" with detection exocet/UUM-44 around player submarine with "remove attached platform" at end (if someone violate this rule)
Btw exocet has small warhead - i doubt 4 missiles can sink Iowa class. But i agree it wouldn't fit to this more or less but still historical scenario.

Chasing attack with mk37 could be difficult because enemy ships after torpedo detection can increase speed above max speed of this torpedo

Biggest problem for Skipjack is very low max speed for LF sonar. Its only 4 knots - too low to track enemy group.
Skipjack was designed for different doctrine - where high speed determined tactic.
Churchill class was able to track enemy group for very long time.

My aggresive tactic was forced by Skipjack weaknes:
- unable to track and follow battle group
- slow and short range torpedoes
So i had to use my only advantage: high speed
Because after detection i had to force enemy to launch all ASROCs and then go closer to Belgrano.
With Rubis game wouldn't look so comic

Overall Skipjack is still good choice for this mission. Task will be more challenging and Forrest-Sherman won't launch ASROCs.

I will play your updated scenario soon (maybe today)