View Single Post
Old 08-08-21, 04:36 PM   #7
Efshapo
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Thanks everybody!

@ljqcn101
What you described was actually the starting point that made me wonder what would happen if I used a ratio different than 1:1 for different time intervals! This standard 4-bearing method seems to be a particular case of the general case that I propose. (And, as you, I also found out that the "segment from mid point" was a really effective tool.)

@Pisces
You got that right! It's indeed 4 times the same procedure, and you also understood perfectly why it's done this way!

@Sean C
I know well the Maneuvering Board, I've actually recently been asked to correct a step-by-step tutorial about it.
The cons here are that it requires 6 bearings instead of 4, that it requires that you keep your course and speed during each series of 3 measurements, and time intervals have to be equal. In my opinion, this technique is less elegant than the standard 4-bearing method.
EDIT: Sorry, I read too fast, the last line gives the same formula as me indeed! I still prefer to use them with 4 bearings instead of 6, but thanks for sharing!
Efshapo is offline   Reply With Quote