View Single Post
Old 12-07-20, 01:49 PM   #1
KungPao
Seaman

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0
Default Is this a bug or my misconception? Active Torp acquire range

I am running some tests on Torpedoes seeker’s effective range. Here is something that get me puzzled.
RA mod 1.50 beta. Somewhere near West African coast, Ocean floor at 13,000ft. Surface duct ocean environment. Below is the SSP profile.

As you can see the layer is at 439ft. I did two tests on how far the MK48 ADCAP can lock the LA Flt III from the head-on direction.

Test 1, sub at 221ft depth, Torp set at 221ft too. Speed set at 50kt (so when it locks the LA, speed increase to 55kts and I would know it has acquired the target). Fire the torp , let it run 2 nmi then make a 180 degree turn. Found out it acquires me at 1050 yds away.

Test 2, sub at 749ft, torp set at the same depth. Same procedure. Found out it acquires me at 390 yds.

I run the tests several times , the results were similar. Torp will get a good lock on me much further in shallow compare in deep . What cause the difference? Based on the SSP profile the sound speed at 221ft is almost same as at 749ft? And I thought Torp should have same acquire range at these two depths?

Last edited by KungPao; 12-07-20 at 03:01 PM.
KungPao is offline   Reply With Quote