View Single Post
Old 01-31-11, 11:44 PM   #116
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackaces View Post
I have noticed that a ship determined to sink, continues pouring accurate fire until about 2 minutes left and then decides to abandon ship. Is there an historic reference that a sinking ship's crew should act like the French Foreign Legion ? I would think once the fate is known that crew would be thinking about survival?
There are many cases of ships going down with guns still firing, if they had any left in operation. It was probably a matter of folks not getting the word, or not realizing something was seriously wrong.

In moments of great stress, such as combat, folks tend to get tunnel vision. They fixate totally on the task at hand, such as shoveling coal, humping ammo, or aiming guns, until forcibly reminded that things are badly haywire, such as by water coming up their legs. Remember, in a ship, very few folks can see beyond the bulkheads of the compartments they are in, and only a few of those folks have any contact with other compartments. And if the ship's communications are damaged, nobody near the bow will know the stern no longer exists until the ships stands on end.

There's also the difference between what the game notes as "sinking" and what people in the ship would comprehend. The game marks ships as sinking when they've been "mathematically eliminated", as in flooding exceeding pumping beyond hope of recovery. But real captains live in eternal fear of being remembered for abaondoning their ships too quickly, and don't have anywhere near as accurate a "death clock" for their ships as the game provides. Hence, when the game says a ship will sink in 20-odd minutes, in real life the captain would still probably think he could do something to save her, and most of the rest of the crew would know they'd been hit but wouldn't have given up the ship yet.

Quote:
I have also noted that accuracy does not increase as much as I would think at less than 5K meters. (Given the ship is not sinking ) At this point the guns are simply bore sighted as the danger area is rather large. Has SES looked at this?
The hit rates in Jutland with default accuracy were tested extensively and give the same values, over the long run, as historical data provides. Even at pretty short ranges, hit rates seldom exceeded 10% in real life combat. This of course was rather less than obtained in practice, but this is a game about combat, not practice.

BTW, I haven't properly welcomed you yet. New guy buys the drinks
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote