View Single Post
Old 09-08-16, 09:48 PM   #15
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
I put in the AoB/target course, then speed, and finally the bearing and range, which I'll update as needed.
Wow. I am wrong. I forgot how I do it.

Speed and course are usually known from radar well in advance of visual sighting. Once I am in position ahead of the target and he's in visual range, I start entering the data. First, get bearing. Range doesn't matter at this point (and the stadiameter is crap at long range, anyway), I think I usually just run it up to maximum. Send that to the TDC. Then I get the AoB, which isn't actually AoB. I enter it by watching the target course dial. Once the course matches, AoB is set. Then enter the speed. After that, turn on the PK, and update range and bearing. Then watch the PK to check the actual target against the artificial one. Adjust target speed as needed, and update range and bearing occasionally.

There's a mod that slightly changes the way data input works. Once you set the AoB, it updates whenever you change bearing. If I have a ship dead ahead (bearing of 0/360), and I set his AoB at 90 degrees starboard, then turn the scope to 300 and send a new bearing to the TDC, the AoB automatically updates to 30 degrees starboard. Send a bearing of 315, and the Aob sets to 45s. Convenient for attacking convoys, where everybody's going the same direction.

There's also this one that updates the dials as you move them, so long as the PK is off. This makes entering the course much easier. It's the reason I don't turn on the PK until later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Let's do things right. The very first thing you should do is turn on the position keeper. Why? Because otherwise you'll forget, that's why. Without the PK on, the artificial target won't move, either rightly or wrongly, at all. So turn on the PK first.
Can you see why we absolutely HAVE TO do the range/bearing last? It's because the artificial target is ALREADY MOVING at the correct speed and course. As soon as we peg the position, it will immediately begin moving at that speed and course JUST LIKE THE REAL TARGET. Therefore your artificial target, which your torpedoes WILL HIT is and will stay exactly on top of the real target.
Basically, it boils down to having the AoB and speed set, and the PK turned on, before you enter your critical bearing and range.

In my procedure, since the scope is locked on target, the bearing is spot on and the angles work out for entering the course. Quite often, I don't have the artificial target on top of the real target until quite late in the attack. I just watch it relative to the target to make sure speed and course are good. Once I'm into the final phase of the attack, I make sure I've got the range correct. Soon after, it's time for a shooting observation and a final bearing/range update and fire.

Quote:
Make sure you press the send traingle button TWICE.
Yes. Every time. It quickly becomes a habit. It's a minor annoyance, but quite important.

Quote:
And now you can visualize what is happening as you enter those numbers. They aren't meaningless digits any more. Each one of them now means something to you.
Indeed. Understanding what the numbers mean and how they relate to the targeting problem is vital to putting holes in marus on a regular basis.