Old 04-17-19, 11:56 PM   #36
nihilcat
UBOOT Dev

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
nihilcat,
I've played sub sim games since Silent Service in 1980's and I still enjoy Silent Hunter 3, best sub sim ever, played since mid 2000's.

I eagerly wait for your UBoat release and I've recently watched several Youtube posters demonstrate the pre-release.

A few early comments from my obsevations:

1) flags on freighters seem to fly forward where I think they should be streaming rearward (opposite of ship's direction). Looks odd to me.

2) torpedo loading is way too fast, SH3 in a realistic mode loads one per 7-12 minutes depending on crew efficiency. T1 steam torpedo can be set faster than the T2 electric and could travel farther, both capable of magnetic detonation under a ships keel, but speed & torpedo running depth are not factored in. I do like how you flood the tubes and preheat the T2's, nice touch.

3) 8.8 deck gun loads and fires too rapidly as well. A well trained crew might be able to fire up to 10-12 rounds per minute.

4) the observation periscope seems to be manned by a crewman nearly 100% of the time when submerged. Scopes were rarely manned & used and only when tracking pray and then only briefly. A raised scope limits underwater speed to 5-knots max. due to vibration and resulting damage, as well as enemy detection. Having 2 scopes sticking out above sea level is something I don't think one would ever see.

Looking forward to the release; it's obvious that a lot of thought and consideration has gone into this game so far.
1) I will fix this in a second. It's a good point.

2) This change would potentially affect the balance of the game due to the distance compression on the world map. I will still keep this in mind, we have some things in the motion that could allow us to make such change.

3) Yes, it may need a few seconds of breath. I think it's currently around 5-6 seconds when it's fully crewed. It was sped up unintentionally after changes to the crew system and we haven't verified these numbers again.

4) It's fixed in the latest version.

Thank you!

If you would have more suggestions, please keep them coming.
nihilcat is offline   Reply With Quote