View Single Post
Old 11-20-23, 11:39 AM   #3
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Keeping things basic, the first FS thing to consider is your joystick.

https://www.newegg.com/black-logitec...82E16826102204

Forty bucks gets you a lot of functionality. I used a link to NewEgg but you can find this controller pretty much everywhere. Its also one of the least bulky solutions unless you're building a dedicated game room.

The one downside to the Extrema 3D Pro is the construction of the handle.
Over time it will feel like its wearing out but the plastic parts just get loose and you need to reseat them. Learning the tricks to taking the handle apart and re-building it will pay off. I have two of these controllers. I swap them out when one of them starts to get sloppy then I do a re-build and set it aside until its brother starts to wear out.

Your CPU might be over-kill.
Keeping in mind that over 90% of the games out there only use a single CPU core, its better to find the fastest stock clock speed. Try to get as close to 4 Gigahertz (or faster) as you can and try to avoid over-clocking (IMO). Your CPU clock is the key to faster graphics since its the source of everything.

As far as RAM, this is where I dis-agree with SKY (as I often do).
RAM in North America is pretty cheap. If you plan to run more than one stick of RAM, try to keep them identical. More RAM gets you more time in your sim. BTW, try to avoid "gaming" hardware like its got COVID. In most cases "gaming" just means it looks pretty and it will fail faster.

If I'm looking for a new desktop PC, I like to start looking for "back to school specials" or pre-built PCs for home business. They are more than enough in most cases but you can also add new hardware as you need it.

What I would suggest is to build your new system backwards. Start with the display, what do you want versus what do you REALLY need? Running an eight foot wide 4K display sounds great BUT its going to take up a LOT of space when you aren't gaming. Really high resolution displays also require really high priced graphics cards.

Find a display that fits your room and life style THEN build your system to that.

I touched on "gaming hardware" earlier. Like I said, try to avoid it. Do you REALLY need 2,000 blinking LEDs when you're just trying to shoot down the ###hole in your sights? Wouldn't all that crap just be a distraction?
Will your neighbors think you have a large Christmas tree set up all year long when they walk past your windows?
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote