View Single Post
Old 12-20-22, 07:46 AM   #974
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 455
Uploads: 0

IID U-139 7th patrol 11 January 1941 from Kiel, 17 sailing days.
Had to cross the Channel to reach patrol grid...and back.
The most famous epic SH3 patrol i have ever played

Perfect weather in the Channel to surface attack

On patrol zone, damaged this Hog Islander, and had to finish him with last torpedo

Then got damaged by planes attack (hurricanes) so was time to go back home...in the Channel near Calais, was detected by British torpedo boat, so dived to escape...when i hitted a mine!!
Result:

2 men badly wounded, batteries destroyed, both periscopes destroyed, hydrophone destroyed and flooding to stop & evacuate...
No more batteries, so had to lay down on ground to start reparations...but didn't know those damn torpedo boats can hear you! Was again detected, and they called their friendly destroyers to finish me...
Of course we immediately switch for silent run (but not running!) and after few depth charges attacks (badly keep going down my hull percentage) they lost my contact (thanks to Stiebler swallow asdic mod!) and probably thought i was crushed. Had also 3 more men wounded by DC explosions...
Then had to wait the whole day on floor (still having ennemy patrols above us) to finally blow the ballast at night...and restart the only diesel remaining!
Made it back home the closer possible to French & Nederland coasts, and finally lost my 5 wounded men, cause without medic aboard, after time they died!! (didn't know this feature!) Hull below 50%.
That was so close to the end, i almost hitted the surrender button when depth charged...but fortunateley i didn't
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote