kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
next update which is almost ready.
Made my day

Speaking of further updates, I did some googling on composition of various navies during WW2. Below (spoiler tags in order not to clog the thread) are some suggestions based on what I found, with links to websites I found info on - perhaps they might be of use to you:

Albania:
REMOVE: Armed Trawler: Albania was conquered and annexed by Italy in April 1939. While Italians created a puppet Albanian state, Albanian navy was abolished and their military incorporated into Italian forces. As such, no warships should be flying Albanian ensign (which is a post-war ensign btw) during WW2. I have no sources on civilian ships, they might have kept Albanian flag or just sail under Italian flag.

Australia:
ADD: London CA class: A ship of this class was given to Australian navy in 1943.

China:
ADD: Junk, Sampan, Large Sampan: these traditional fishing vessels were as popular in China as in Japan, in fact both ship designs originate from China. It's only fair to add them to Chinese roster as well (Photo - Sampans and junks in Hong Kong harbour, around 1920)
REMOVE: VW DD
ADD: Medium Gunboat, Small Gunboat, and perhaps Kriegsfischkutter:
While China had destroyers and cruisers in interwar period, by 1939 they were either sunk or captured by Japanese, and what remained in service were mostly old river and coastal gunboats or MTBs. Antiquated-looking gunboats we have in Japan's roster would be a better choice to represent Chinese navy than VW DD which China never used. Source

Finland
ADD: PTElco clone: Finland used a number of MTB's in Baltic: italian built MAS or British Thornycroft MTBs. While not exactly an Elco, they were similar enough for Elco to stand in for them quite accurately: Ship list, Photo, Photo2

Free Norway
ADD:Flower, Town. REMOVE: VW: Free Norway Navy currently has only VW DD and U class sub in its warship roster. Historically, during WW2 Norway forces fighting alongside Royal Navy were equipped by British and Americans with, among other ships: 6 Flower Corvettes and 6 Town Class DDs. Replacing VW type (which Norway did not use) with those ships would make Free Norway both more accurate and diverse. Source

Free Poland
ADD: U-Class: Polish Navy fighting alongside RN during WW2 had 2 U-Class subs: ORP Sokol and ORP Dzik, which proved very effective in the Med.

India:
REMOVE: VW DD, ADD: Black Swan, Flower, River. List of Royal Indian Navy ships available here doesn't include any destroyers at all, but it does include 4 River class frigates, 7 Black Swan sloops and a single Flower corvette.

Italy
ADD: PTElco clone: Italy widely used MAS MTBs (photo1) (photo2) in Mediterranean campaigns. Elco is similar enough to MAS to stand in for them nicely (perhaps with different camouflage). Ideally, stripping 2 out of 4 torpedo racks would also give them historical capabilities (all MAS I can find on photos seem to have 2 torpedo racks only)

Nicaragua:
REMOVE: Armed Trawler. Navy of Nicaragua was not formed until 1980. There are mentions of some patrol boats being used by Niacarguan National Guard in 1970s but no sources I've found mention any warships whatsoever in Nicaraguan service during WW2.

Panama:
REMOVE: VW, Armed Trawler: Panama's Navy was not estabilished until 1964. As such, any warships under flag of Panama are historically incorrect.

kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote