Old 06-12-15, 07:24 PM   #2001
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Actually it can't...
It is irrelevant is it max game wind speed 15 or 60 m/s. All waves parameters are drown from seaparameters.cfg file and anyyhing more extreme will look unrealistic and ridiculous. Also with 60m/s patch enabled clouds and smoke will move unnaturally fast...The game is to much optimized for max 15m/s and that's it...
I never managed understanding how TDW's wind speed patch is interacts with the rest of SH5's weather setting.

In theory, the game should pick wind speeds for each climate zone/season combination from the corresponding min/max windspeed parameters set in climate weather cfg files, each cfg file corresponding to a particular climate zone. In vanilla game min and max wind speeds are always set to 1 and 15 respectively, irrespective of climate zone and season. In Dynamic Environment we narrowed down this range, in an effort to create more variotion between different climate areas and seasons by actually reducing intra-seasonal/intra-zonal variation. Since nowhere in game files wind speeds higher than 15 m/s are set, TDW's patch should take no effect unless weather cfg files are set to allow higher wind speeds than the stock 15 m/s. If those parameters were applied correctly, (and not, as guess, bypassed), we wouldn't be forced to use the maximum theoretical wind speed of 60 m/s: we could rather set the maxwindspeed parameter of the windiest climate zones/seasons to a more reasonable 20 or 30 m/s.
There is more: as rightly noted by you, wind-related wave parameters are set in seaparameters.cfg file. If I remember correctly the vanilla cfg file contains settings for 0, 5, 10 and 15 m/s wind speeds, but one could add/remove any set of windspeed parameters, as far as the two stock extremes (0 and 15 m/s) are represented into the file. Parameters for missing wind speeds are simply interpolated from available data. Now my question is: where does the game get data for wind speeds higher than 15 m/s, since all the available wave mods have 15 m/s as their maximum wind speed?

I once asked TDW for clarifications, but I never received an answer to my doubts.

Last edited by gap; 06-12-15 at 07:33 PM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote