View Single Post
Old 06-15-19, 06:28 AM   #16
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I've all the above mentioned books but the best IMHO especially if you're interested in U-boat history and development is The U-Boat: The Evolution and Technical History of German Submarines by Eberhard Rössler.

Not cheap but well worth the price. I sent a copy to Kpt Lehmann one Christmas years back.

https://www.amazon.com/U-Boat-Evolut.../dp/0304361208

I second this recommendation, but also caution that it will only be of interest to someone truly interested in the details of the design evolution.

Some others that I have enjoyed

The U-Boat Wars 1916-1945 by John Terraine
This book goes into a lot of detail about the evolution of the U-boat tactics in the often overlooked inter-war period

U-Boat War by Lothar-Gunther Buchheim
This book is more focused on the crews and the personal experiences of the men. An interesting insight

The U-Boat Offensive 1914-1945 by V. V. Tarrant
This book has a lot of stats on the U-boats, the commanders, the career of the boat.

The afore mentioned book series by Clay Blair are always a good recommendation. However, Blair's books are not what I consider an "easy read".

Good luck with this. Collecting U-boat books is a terrible and expensive hobby.