View Single Post
Old 07-15-07, 05:41 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

It strongly depends on the type of aircraft. Some are tame and forgiving, some are neurotic bitches. spend an hour just to qucik-test several different ones, and realise their differendces in turning, then stay with those that you find to match your needs. Mostly, these will be planes that are considered a bit too tame against later war opposition, so do quick missions against comparable - or even the same! - type of planes.

Check these planes in and out. I for example love the Hurricane. It is by far not the strongest beast around, but it allows me to focus on what I want to do: flying. Check the behavior at different speeds. Make mental notes of these. The better you learn to handle a plane, the more you gain the ability to successfully fight in these planes, even against opponents that technically should be superior to your plane. Some of the top German aces sticked to their version/models of the Bf109 throughout the war and refused with determination to fly any of the later, considered stronger models.

Learn to fly aerobatics, especially hammerheads. Hammerheads teqaches you to watch both your flight attitude and speed, and perfect your timing and use of thottle. I even did that with the SF260 in Flight simulator, and later found it easier in the - less sophisticated - flight models in IL2. Train extreme turns, leanr the b ahvior with different throttle use.

finally and most important: fly ina way that matches the strengths of the plane you are in - not it'S weaknesses. The German planes were not turn fighters, but energy fighters: use the vertical, zoom-and-boom. Other planes are low on energy, but strong in turnings: so don't try to outrace that Messerschmidt, but try to lure it into a turnfight, close to the ground.

Planes also behave differently at different altitudes. Some better fight high above, some better at tree level

So, why not trying a Hurricane vs Hurricane duel next for a start?

Finally: tune your input devices, adjust the axis sensitivity. this needs solid testing and can cost a lot of time, but it is worth it.