View Single Post
Old 05-28-16, 06:44 AM   #39
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

"Hitler tried to get my dad"
I guess it was nothing personal. Mind you after all, England declared war to Germany, not the other way round.
You know "Churchill then tried to get my" dad, too. As well nothing personal, of course.

Regarding veterans, reunions and the like:
A lot of german soldiers of course plain did not suvive, after the war there was a big dent in the numbers of young male population, in Germany.

Then there were reunions, but a lot of soldiers had not exactly known what was going on in Germany, in concentration camps and so on. The civilian population living near concentration camps, knew more about that.
The Wehrmacht of course perpetrated atrocities, too.
Let's say a lot were not particularly proud

After all when seeing all that, all but the most fanatic idiots would have held patriotic (!) reunions or whatever. They were forced to realize what had happened. That they met inofiicially as friends who had gone through hell, of course.

Atrocities perpetrated by the Allies have never been punished or publicised, so their soldiers probably did not have the urge to look into their own country's behaviour, let alone be critical about themselves.

This is certainly not true for all soldiers or people who have lived through the war, but i think for most.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote