View Single Post
Old 06-23-21, 05:23 AM   #187
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

It is mind-boggling the many different fad foods people here in SoCal have foisted on poor, innocent pizzas, with kiwi being among the least WTH reaction inspiring topping; I swear, if somebody on YT, TT, or FB were to say lug nuts was the next food craze, they'd be on SoCal pizzas in a matter of minutes...

The mention of Dungeness crab brught back memories of growing up in San Francisco; there was a very thriving Dungemess catching industry in the waters off SanFrancisco, much depleted, nowadays; there is a popular tourist area in SF known as Fisherman's Wharf, which was, and still is, home to an active fishing fleet; now its mainly a home to somewhat overpriced seafood stalls and restaurants, but back when I was growing up, you could go down to the wharf in the wee hours, just before sunrise, and be there when the crab fleets would bring in their hauls; some of the fish mongers would set up big boiling pots, some fashioned out of converted oil barrels, and boil up big batches of crabs fresh off the fleet; there were sort of picnic tables and benches on the end of the wharf and you could buy a freshly boiled crab, along with some drawn butter, fresh sourdough bread, some basic condiments; they'd provide utensils, including mallets, and you'd be set to feast on a uniquely SF breakfast; I have fond memories of enjoying a good, fresh, Dungeness while watch the sun rise over the city...

<O>