View Single Post
Old 12-30-19, 12:02 PM   #4
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
I estimate 1 to 2 meters (3 to 6 feet) below target's draft. But, I've been known to go a little bit more, maybe as much as 3 meters or 9 to 10 feet. If the target is sinking and is low in the water, I'd adjust for that extra depth.
Hmm, I need to redo my depth trials as your findings explain some anomalous and very unwelcome hits that should have passed under CLs and DDs to the BBs beyond. When I tested max depth in half-meter increments on the Yamato class, though, the torps failed to explode at 12.5m.

Quote:
Do you know when you LOCK on a ship in SH4, the game automatically changes the torpedo's depth to 2 & 1/2 feet above the draft. This can cause problems if you lock on a large capital ship and then re-aim & fire at a shallow draft vessel. Torpedo depth always changes when you use the Lock function.
Aaargh! Thank you SO much for this revelation. I never understood why two torps at, say, 10m and 3m, were so ineffective when fired on the fly using Lock vs. manually. I suspect that clears up the DD issue too, and possibly the anomalous hits mentioned in the first paragraph.

Quote:
In the heat of battle one does not need to worry about torpedo depth as long as it is shallow enough. It's more important to to hit the target than the optimum depth if there really is one.
I generally agree but in combat with BBs, my preferred approach is to stack the hits whenever possible to maximize the chances of cracking open a magazine, say 3m/7.5m/12m for a Yamato, while for tough carriers like the Hiryu class, I use 5.5m and 10m against the hangar deck and keel respectively. Now I understand the variable results much better.

Is there any way to override this lock "feature"?
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote