View Single Post
Old 09-13-19, 05:39 PM   #47
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Maybe I can shake up those percentages a bit when reminding of that planet Earth lies in those 10% of our galaxy's space/volume that belongs to the youngest space of this galaxy, meaning that the other 90% of volume the galaxy takes, and suns and planets in it, are older than our beloved little home we call the solar system. Tens and tens of millions of years older. Thats why I have red in some astronomy book, once.

Before concluding from that that any life on these older worlds must be older than we are and thus has had more time to undergo evolutionary process and thus being more "advanced", now take into account that older suns come at the cost of their own problems they mean to the planets revolving around them, aging issues of which there are many. Suns undergo a life cycle, and their fuel gets burned up. Radiation changes, from extreme to comfortable to destructive, for example.

That so many solar systems are so much older than ours, could not only mean life they maybe hold is superior to us, but also that it already has died out again and very long tiome ago. Or has adapted in ways we cannot even imagine.

Still certain of your percentages?

Anyway, if there is life able to reach out at us on ouzr pkante, we should be deeply worried if taking the human history of clashing civilizations as an example. Usually the superior civilization wipes out the inferior one, at leats oin our planet. And alspo, we cannot take it for grnated that a more advanced species autom,atic ally ticks by our moral rules and motivations. They simply may be beyond the meaning of our temrinola og right and wrong, good and bad, kind and evil. Am i an evil being is stepping onto that ant in the woods, and not even tpcing it? Or giving that mosquito irritating me the sklap of it slifetime?

I for myself have changed over my life my stand on alien life, from hoping that it is there and that we will make contact, to now hope we can avoid being detected by somebody out there. I think we should hope that we are out of reach, and we should stay as stealthy as we can. Voyager 1 and 2 imo today were not just stupid but potentially dangerous missions.

We have no reaosn to hope for the best outcome form an alien contact. Maybe we have no reaosn to fear the worst as elWe simply do not know. Maybe we are best advised to not hope for anything, and just stay silent and shut up, from a galaxian point of view.

I admit, there is no solace in anything I just said.

Maybe that is the price for survivial. If so, I hope we never find out.

Maybe soembody knows the "Galactic Centre" Saga by Gregory Benford...?! Not really a pleasant outlook, but I see some possible truths in it about a first contact - and the long range consequences that are lethal for mankind.

http://www.worldswithoutend.com/sear...0&ys=0&ye=9999

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_Center_Saga

Quote:
Paul Witcover in Sci Fi Weekly wrote that the series is "one of the most ambitious and enthralling sagas in all of science fiction: The epic tale of a star-spanning civilization of intelligent machines methodically working to exterminate a species of pestiferous vermin that calls itself humanity."

Also see the Fermi Paradoxon LINK

Last edited by Skybird; 09-13-19 at 05:55 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote