View Single Post
Old 08-11-20, 08:59 AM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Oh, man, that was EPIC.

The dubbing was just fine, some excellent dubs, no problem there! This is the kind of movie
that should be filmed in non-English and dubbed, it fundamentally demands it.

Opening credits, I knew this was going to be amazing when one of the producers was listed
as "Tax Shelter for the Belgium Government". Classic!

Someone said this was a hybrid of Inglorious Basterds and U-571, that's really accurate. They
tried to shoehorn in some Das Boot and Hunt for Red October tropes as well, but it didn't make
any sense at all. Don't these filmmakers ever Subsim?

Spoilers: sorry, can't really discuss without, but these are intentionally vague.

So, you can train a small group of guys to manage a submarine with a couple days of bad training?

Another underwater battle between two subs. Hey, in WWII, were any submerged subs
able to torpedo another submerged sub, solely by passive sonar? And I don't mean one was surfaced
and one was at PD, I mean 50m down, no visual bearing, range by sound alone?

Gotta love how the hydrophone operator was so precise, frequently calling out "Torpedo! Range 150 meters!"
I need this guy on my boat in Wolfpack.

So, one things I learned, if you torpedo a submerged U-boat 200m away, the thing explodes like 8 times,
and the shock waves are horrific.

When a woman shoots a rifle and blows up a destroyer, I have to say, women's rights have arrived.

Lots of throwback racist comments, stuff I haven't seen in a movie since the 60s. Of course, it was
appropriate for the time and setting in the film, but I didn't think any modern filmmakers would bring it back.

Specific spoilers: don't read if you want major elements of this soon-to-be cult classic ruined:

So, a German destroyer comes up on a German U-boat and they are ready to blow
it away at a moment's notice? Ok, maybe they got a warning that a rogue U-boat was operating somewhere in the Atlantic...

But then when the DD rams the U-boat, causing massive flooding in the center compartments and the
control room... they sink like a stone... but they are able to resurface hours later by simply blowing
the tanks?? What" No damage repairs were necessary? Holy cow, that's dumb writing.

Drowning babies, them Nazis were evil!

Wait, just why did the Allies need a Nazi sub to transport uranium to the US? I mean, wouldn't it have
been 1000x easier just to load it onto a few planes? Or a fast destroyer group? Jeesh, if there was ever
a more complicate and unnecessarily risky way to do something, I don't know what it is.

Summary: If you thought there couldn't be a movie you loved more than U-571, you're mistaken, my friend.