View Single Post
Old 12-01-22, 10:40 AM   #11
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

I skipped the remaster. Rome 1 was a great game in its day, and I'm sure the remaster made improvements, but the release was troubled, they rather botched it, and then went back to the drawing board and I suspect its better now. Mods muddle the equation and can overcome the worst parts and make it a better game.

But it's still ancient Rome, and I like Rome 2.

Having played Warhammer 3 now for about 80 hours I have to say CA has laid out a great foundation. The much-derided Realm of Chaos campaign put me off for a while. Once Immortal Empires was released I bought it. That campaign is unbelievably ambitious, battle royale, Total War style. 276 factions on turn 1! I finished one of those as Cathay, and now am doing a Kislev run in RoC. Whatever complaints there were at release have either been smoothed over or I just don't agree, because I think this campaign is a blast.

Having a great time with it, and I'd insert WH3 in second place, just below Warhammer 2. As good as the foundation is, WH3 isn't nearly so robust. But it it follows the same trajectory as WH2 did, there will be a steady stream of DLC, patches and improvement and I suspect Warhammer 3 will occupy top spot before too long. There are so many improvements, to the mechanics, factions, UI, and well, everything, that I think it will soon be the best Total War title, if it isn't already.