Thread: Whac-A-Squirrel
View Single Post
Old 12-16-20, 08:41 PM   #2848
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Whoever dares to whack our cute tiny red squirrels will get a much bigger whack from me...! Whack the grey ones, if you think you must, but hands off our beloved cute red ones!

Two little friends in our garden, I am forming a slowly improving friendship with them, but their trust is hard to gain, and not in winter for sure. I hope that in spring, better summer after the younglings are out of the worst, I can train them better to get used to me: just the feeder, than empty chair with feeder, than feeder on empty chair, than human on chair with feeder in hand, frozen. Who knows. I call them Kira and Taro, a third one, Sari, unfortunately got killed already - and I needed to be the very unhappy guy finding her dead body, that was not nice, a bad day, I like these little creatures tremendously. 80% of our red ones do not make it over their first year, not even every tenth lives for its third birthday. The American grey ones are different in several aspects, but the most important one is they are social, the red ones are not, are isolationists. This makes the grey ones more clever ones (sociability needs smartness), and more daring ones.