View Single Post
Old 12-16-18, 06:34 PM   #73
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I like your plan to rotate the food by using it and then replacing it, but can food isn't always the best choice, especially if the are not lined (Campbell Soup is not a lined can) plus the dented cans are never safe.

Your storage plan is for short term ... long term storage like beans, rice, oats etc need to be stored in double barrels and never on a concrete floor. Why double lined? Rats will eat through the first layer, but give up when faced with a second layer.

https://thesurvivalmom.com/the-top-1...-to-not-store/

Foods to not store, long-term
1. Any canned vegetable or fruit that you do not like

2. Tuna
I know that canned tuna is a staple in many food pantries. However, I’ve discovered that after a couple of years, canned tuna becomes mushy.

3. Flour
As flour ages, it can develop a stale, rancid smell. Additionally, it likely contains the microscopic eggs of flour weevils, which will hatch at some point.

4. Saltine crackers
Just for fun, take a sleeve of saltine crackers out of the box and set them aside, at room temperature, for 3 or 4 months. You’ll never get over the stench of rancid saltines!

5. Graham crackers
I didn’t think our family favorite, graham crackers, could go bad, but they do go rancid with time.

6. Breakfast cereals
These are not packaged for long-term storage, likely contain GMO ingredients, and probably contain a lot of additives

7. Canned tomato products
Personally, I have always stored a number of canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste, but then, we use those products often in our meals.

8. Home-dehydrated foods
Again, these aren’t bad, but for long-term storage, they won’t last nearly as long, mold-free, as commercially dehydrated foods.

9. Brown sugar
There really is no need to store brown sugar if you have granulated sugar and molasses on hand. Molasses has an extremely long shelf life, as does sugar

10. Bottled salad dressing
When a bottle of Kraft ranch salad dressing is the same color as Thousand Island, you know something went very, very wrong on your pantry shelf!

again your plan to rotate food you eat regularly seems like a good plan.

Don't forget to purchase those big number ten size of nuts (Costco has them) you can buy one every month for sure, but grown men have been known to cry when they run out of them up in Idaho in the winter months,
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote