View Single Post
Old 01-12-06, 04:19 PM   #17
HS
Bosun

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

Quote:
What a joy it is to get a really well set out and comprehensive manual. Why is it games publishers have bypassed this feature in recent years ? I suppose one reason is the trend to DVD size cases rather than the bulkier box sets. Wouldn't a return to an indespensible manual reduce ( but not remove ) the incidence of pirating ? As long as games come with electronic manuals and/or no need for manuals digital copying is too easy an option. Hackers always find their way past protection devices and can post up on the net but having to scan a manual and make avaiable would be so much more hassle.
You are probably right. And yes, the manual is indeed another utstandig feature of the game.

Quote:
Anyway that's a separate issue .... back to GNBNA . I've not had it installed yet but the manual gives me a very clear impression of what makes this game tick and what a well designed game it looks. I can easily see why simmers would want an updated version of this game. I would guess that means mainly the graphics ( and maybe the sound which I've not been able to sample yet) . The basic design seems very sound . I'll take your word for the dynamic campaign - but the fact that it has one and this is what everyone craves for must make this feature a winner.
A modern graphic engine for this game would be to good to be true. The general game design however is hard to improve. As to sound: It cannot compete with modern wav.files etc. Since I have both versions of GNBNA (German version Burning Steel) – the older floppy disc version and the CDROM version 1.2 – I would like to add, that sound issues seem to be handled easier with the floppy disc version. With the CDROM version I’ve experienced sound stuttering problems from time to time, choosing the thunder board within the sound.exe file seems to be the best choice. Perhaps you will have other or even better results with other settings, anyway, I would be gratefule for every hint on that matter.

Quote:
Strange how Fighting Steel moved away from the FP action inside the ship. As far as I know no-one has really attempted this for a BB since the early nineties ( along with Jutland and maybe Task Force 1942 ?) All were DOS games , yes ? ..... Before my time as a PC gamer LOL.
Yes it’s really a market gap. Again, let me know if you have problems with the installation.
HS is offline   Reply With Quote