View Single Post
Old 06-29-21, 09:50 AM   #690
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I think if he is still in jail in 5 years he'll do the entire double dime or he will leave feet first.
Platapus wrote:
"You might want to get smarter friends. He was convicted of a state crime"
So I made a search and found this wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa..._United_States

Where I read following

"A pardon is an executive order granting clemency for a conviction. It may be granted "at any time" after the commission of the crime.
As per Justice Department regulations, convicted persons may only apply five or more years after their sentence has been completed.

However, the President's power to pardon is not restricted by any temporal constraints except that the crime must have been committed.

A pardon is an expression of the President's forgiveness and ordinarily is granted in recognition of the applicant's acceptance of responsibility for the crime and established good conduct for a significant period of time after conviction or completion of sentence. It does not signify innocence.

Its practical effect is the restoration of civil rights and statutory disabilities (e.g., firearm rights, occupational licensing) associated with a past criminal conviction.

In rarer cases, such as the pardon of Richard Nixon, a pardon can also halt criminal proceedings and prevent an indictment, though this has not been tested in court.

A reprieve is a temporary postponement of a punishment (refer to pardon/related concepts).
A commutation is the mitigation of the sentence of someone currently serving a sentence for a crime pursuant to a conviction, without cancelling the conviction itself"

And Platapus is correct

Limitation:
"Federal pardons issued by the president apply only to federal law; they do not apply to civil, state, or local offenses. Federal pardons also do not apply to cases of impeachment. Pardons for state crimes are handled by governors or a state pardon board.

One limitation to the president's power to grant pardons is "in cases of impeachment." This means that the president cannot use a pardon to stop an officeholder from being impeached, or to undo the effects of an impeachment and conviction."

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote