View Single Post
Old 07-24-17, 06:42 AM   #78
jerseytom
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Just thinking about this from the perspective of an engineer... I could absolutely see the potential for a big difference between what a designer / drafter thinks a mechanism might be capable of, and what it's actually capable of in practice. Theory vs. reality.

With that said, for those who have done the job for real, I'm curious about a few things if you can share. Not even so much interested in suggesting any of this for game play, just interesting to me from a mechanical perspective.

Non Wire-Guarded Torpedoes
If a boat were shooting Mk16's would that be a less involved process? Not having to clear out an old wire or hook up a new one, things like that. I'd guess it would be a small difference if the emphasis is still on integrity, inspecting the tube, etc.

Swim Out, Slide Valves, Etc.
I get the impression there's some interaction here between how all this valving works and what/when you can shoot or reload. Is that still the case if you're say shooting a Mk37 that swims out rather than being blasted out by a big slug of water? For that matter, is swim out something that was specific to the Mk37 or is there a scenario when you'd use that in something more modern like a Mk48?

Torpedo Trials Video
Earlier in the thread there's a video from the Royal Canadian Navy shooting practice torpedoes. What exactly are we looking at 2'30" in when it shoots?
jerseytom is offline   Reply With Quote